Reality, What a Concept

I drove down to my local Starbucks a little while ago, only, when I got there, it was closed. It was 11:20, and they closed at 11:00. For some reason, I had thought it was earlier. But, more than being closed, the intersection it was at was completely dark and deserted. Not a single soul around. So I immediately made a U-turn and headed home. It was kind of scary.

On my way home, things seemed a little strange, and I took a right turn at a stop sign much faster than I normally would have (in fact, I didn't stop at all). I thought to myself, "This is very strange -- the deserted street, the weird driving -- almost like this isn't real. But I know that this is real, because here I am, driving up the street."

I continued this conversation with myself, and whoever might be out there, until finally I said, "If this isn't real, then let me be home right now!" And immediately I woke up.

OK, so it was a dream. And we've all had dreams like that, where we think it's reality, but it's not. But this was especially strange, because in the dream I actually confirmed that it was, indeed, "reality." But it was not.

A few weeks ago I had a dream where things were disjointed. I would be doing something, and then, all of a sudden, there would be this gap of time, and I couldn't remember what had happened in between the last thing I remembered and where I currently was. This happened like three or four times. Finally, after the last time, I asked a man standing next to me if he had caused me to lose consciousness. He said, "No. But you keep drifting into that other realm."

"That other realm." Indeed.

So I'm having more and more of these "dual-reality" dreams. A couple of months ago I woke up from an ultra-real dream to find out that it had only been a dream. Relieved to finally be back in "reality," I then woke up from that. "How bizarre," I thought. "I woke up from the dream, thinking I was back in reality; but that was just a dream, as well!"

But then, just as I was contemplating the bizarreness of having had a dream within a dream, I woke up again! The third level had been a dream, as well! But then, one more time yet again, I woke up from that level!

So three times in a row I woke up, thinking I was back in "reality," when I was, in fact, still dreaming.

So, we've all had dreams like that, where we wake up, thinking we're in reality when, in fact, we're still dreaming. But I've never had one four levels deep before. And the frequency with which these sorts of "which reality am I in?" things are happening is increasing.

So I wonder if I'm losing my mind. Could very well be. The good thing about it is that, even if I am losing my mind, I probably wouldn't know if I'm asleep or awake, so it probably wouldn't make much difference anyway.

Plus, I fully expect to wake up and recall a dream in which I wrote a blog post wondering if I was losing my mind. I'll be so relieved to be "back in reality" and have all of those concerns be false alarms that I'll write a blog post about how I had been writing this blog post....

Comments

Jen said…
There was a show years ago that had an episode where at least one of the characters had dreams similar to the last one you described. They kept on having nightmares, and when they thought they woke up, they were really dreaming.

The closest thing I ever had to that was when I dreamt that my friend bought Britney Spears concert tickets. For the longest time, I was convinced that it was real. You would think that since she never talked about it, I would realize that it wasn't real.
Is this your attempt at a re-write of history? 'cause the real "I have a Dream" speech is much better.

My version is always, "I had a dream I was reading a blog, and replying to it, but it took me so long to remember my google/blogger id and password, the wry comments faded in bitter irony to rye toast. metaphorically"
Neil said…
if I was gonna rewrite MLK's speech, it would go something like this: "I have a dream, that one day -- oh wait! THAT was a dream. I wuz just having a dream that I was giving a speech about having a dream!" And then I'd wake up from that, and would be like, "Whoa! I just dreamt that I had woken up from a dream about giving a speech about a dream. But THAT was a dream." And so on. :-)

As for the google/blogger id thing, yeah, that's why I enabled Name-only comments. I figure most people don't wanna deal with it. Hate to have those rye comments turn into [moldy] rye toast! Unless you're a catcher in the rye, that is....
Neil said…
jenfahh: of course, it is entirely possible that she *did* buy those tickets, but just didn't wanna tell you, because she wanted to take another friend. I mean, are you *sure* she didn't go to the concert? I mean, she might have been using this whole, "Oh yeah, you must have dreamt it thing" as a way to avoid telling you the truth! (jk) ;-)
I'm still pissed off that J.D. Salinger will not allow a film to be made of his book. I will eventually have to read it if I am to become 'more worldly'.
Neil said…
or you could just wait for your son to read it in high school and tell you what it's about.... ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts On Growing Old

Internet Nakedness